Monday, March 8, 2010

Compare women’s roles in two generations-by Peggy.w

My mother and I are very close as friends; we talk about everything and also argue about everything. However, it’s not just me who has arguments with my mom, even my sisters do too. This generation gap makes us have different ways of thinking and also makes us differ in terms of our opinions about the appropriate time to get married, the time we spend on our work, and the definition of a good life.
First, my mom and I have different thoughts about the appropriate time to get married. She got married when she was 21 years old, and my father was 25 years old. They both just graduated from the school and started their first job, but they got married. In my mom’s generation, people think the marriage is necessary to a meaningful adult life, so usually the women wants to get married right after they graduated. But that’s not what I thought; my idea about the appropriate time to get married is when you are ready. In my opinion, I think before you get married you should have more experience of your life and have strongly financial foundation to support your life. Not just the man, also the women. They both should make sure they are strong enough to support a family; then, you are ready to get married.
Second, the time we spend on our work is different. Because we have different way of thinking, so my mom realized that she needs to built up her own career after her marriage to support the family (at that time, she already had me and my sister). Even though she still won’t spend too much time on work and always has high priority for the family. On the other hand, my job is my dream and my life. If I am doing a production, I usually spend day and night for it and never stop until I achieve my goal. Therefore, my job is my first priority; I spend a lot of time on work while my mom doesn’t spend time on work.
Third, we have different definition of a good life. People work hard for better life, so they deserve the life they want, and that is what I think. After graduation, I started to make my own money; therefore, I spend the money in the way I want, but my mom disagrees with my idea. In my mom’s generation, people been taught to stay frugal and save a lot of money which make them feel secure. But they end up passing away without spend any money. So, in my opinion, I would like to work hard and stay in the life with quality while my mom saves all the money and gives up the quality of her life.
The differences between my mom’s generation and mine, even though the gap it’s been there than 20 years, but it’s still different. The old generation women care more about the marriage and family; however, my generation is more individualistic. As a result, this is normal and just the way it is.

8 comments:

  1. That is a good compare essay. Is your mother only 20 years older than you? That's acceptable. The generation gap may make you learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet.. I miss my mom
    My mom is same as yours. She sacrificed for family for 20 years. However, She went to college and Graduate this Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw your essay before, i think you got a better one. in my opinion, both of you and your mom have some advantage and disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy! your essay made me think about your topic seriously. it's so impressive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your opinion about marriage is what i agree with.
    people should get married till they are ready, but not just because family ask them to do it. the generation changed and also the thinking, good to see people get married when they are ready to build a sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every mother is the greatest. Like Patrick's words, they sacrificed for family. I like your ways to use C/C. I am learning now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although the life between your mother and you is different, you can learn from each other. And then you will do better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy,I agreed that you said,"before you get married you should have more experience of your life and have strongly financial foundation to support your life." Because recently bread is more important than love, too many things attract the young generation.

    ReplyDelete