Monday, March 8, 2010

Strategies to Study Korean

I used two strategies to help me prepare for the Korean teacher’s certification examination. The strategy of studying Korean literature is to grasp of a literary work‘s theme. Above all it is important when a literary work was written. For example, poems written during the Japanese colonial rule usually have the theme about the hope of country’s independence usually. When I pretended to be a person living at that time while I was reading novels or poems, I was able to feel the mood of these days. This imagination helped me remember features of each period and do well on the exam. The strategy of studying Korean grammar is learning by rote. Korean has a developed rule of the honorifics; it’s built into the language. For example, you can greet someone with “annyong” and if you want to signify polite respect, you have to suffix “haseyo” or “hasimnikka”. In case of an irregular verb, “meokda” means ‘to eat’ and there are irregular honorifics; “deusida”, “japsusida”. I used to read the whole grammatical rules repeatedly and then write down the rules as I memorized them to check my weaknesses. After these practices, I was able to analyze the construction of a sentence and find several grammatical errors in an ancient dialogic paragraph. Even though I was not able to pass the teacher’s certification examination, these strategies helped me get a high score. After I go back to Korea, I am going to use these useful strategies again and I know I will pass this time.

9 comments:

  1. Anna, i wonder the way of korean writing and american writing is how different in your view because you are taught special course. and when we want to describe something by using english like korean expression, how it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this two strategies are useful, you just need more practice that's it all, and i really think Korean are more diffcult than Chinese or English. and good example by the way~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Korean is very very difficult for me and I can't remember that. If you apply your strategies in learning English that will be effective. By the way, happy birthday the day before yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,i like to learn Korean. Sometimes when i saw Korean movie, i will follow them to pronounce some words. I think Korean sounds very cute, if i will learn Korean in the future, i really got some skills from your essay.^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always have thankful mind that I am Korean. haha I think Korean is really hard to learn too.
    Moreover, explanation of word for elder person is very impressive. I hope that Other students can understand as much as I catch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello anna~ i didn't know many differences between korean writing and american writing. i think your excellent examples are so useful for all of foreigners. And It maybe too late to say to you congratulations..anyway happy birthday~!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh~yeah, thank you anna, i got some idea how to study korea well. i always really want to study Korea but i did not do that. i hope these ideas can help me if i have oppotunity to study that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. even i read your essay, i still can't understand Korean >_< it's quite difficult to me to distinguish the pronunciations between similar words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes, it is not important to get the result. The important thing is to get something from the process of what you learn. GO~ Anna, i I believed you will get it one day.^ ^

    ReplyDelete