Monday, March 8, 2010

Spring Festival

On Spring Festival, we have special celebration: wonderful time with family in home and happy time with relatives. Rery give us wellbeing and sweet memory, all the families get together, no worry no grief.
Rery is on lunar calendar January 1th, which is the most important night during Spring Festival. Three central aspects are wrap dumplings, set off firecrackers, and eat dumplings together. Before 12 o’clock, my mother and grandmother wrap dumplings, there is something special in dumplings: coins and red dates. My grandmother will put them into dumplings. If someone eats a dumpling which has a coin, it means the guy will earn much money in the New Year, and the red date means good luck. When I was young, in order to got a coin, I ate as much dumplings as I could. The Spring Festival Gala is the most important gala in the whole year; I watch it with my family every year, and most Chinese are same with us, it has gradually become a tradition. On 12 o’clock, my grandmother cook dumplings when my father sets off firecrackers outside, it’s so jollification. After that, we eat dumplings together and say some lucky words to families, then parents and grandparents will give children red envelope, which is the happiest moment for children.
Another aspect during the Spring Festival is when we spend happy time with relatives. The first two days is a busyness stage: visit elderships and aunt. On the first day of the Chinese New Year, my parents will bring me to my elderships’ home to pay New Year call to them, and chat about some family things with them. And also, elderships will give children red envelope. Some of the relatives may have not seen each other for a long time; it’s a sweet moment to visit them. Second day is a happy day for me that I can play with my cousins. My parents will take me to my grandma’s home, and pay New Year call to grandma, aunts, and uncles. My aunts and my mom will cook many dishes, and we eat together. Adults also drink some wine and children set off firecrackers after lunch.
Spring Festival is the most important festival in China because we have wonderful time with family in home and happy time with relatives, every day was full of joy.

6 comments:

  1. You know what? Korean celebrate Jan 1st also. And we eat rice cake soup same your dumpling.
    Hmm...interesting Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh~little Kelly~your essay let me miss my hometown Beijing. Although we just passed our spring festival, i can't feel it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You use several "Big words" which I can't understand. I think you need to explain some special words more especially some word you translate from Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your essay is always good. i envy you ;)
    it is so clear for me to understand your topoc because there are so many specific expaination

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your essay is different from the other essay which have the same topic. You structure is so clear. Reading your essay is a comfortable thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow~Kelly
    Are your family using the real money to put into the dumplings? That's so cool^ ^a

    ReplyDelete