Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Founding my true calling in Holland

Last winter, in January, I had a significant experience visiting Holland, which made me consistently study design. Two years before this, I had wanted to study another major like psychology, art therapy, and education because not only did I have difficulty studying design but I wasn’t really sure that I was on the right path. At that time, I was chosen from the international exchange program for an interchange between other countries and my University. I had a chance to go to Amsterdam in Holland to visit a University and several companies related to my major, which is industrial design engineering. The first day in the Delft University of Technology, IDE, we had a seminar with their students and 2 professors about the designed products we did. We discussed about the product. “How did you get this idea?” “Why is this part rounded?” “What is the most important thing when we design?” Also, we discussed about the difference between Asia and Europe. They’re very logical and thoughtful, and they enjoyed their study and work seriously. Through the discussion, I realized why I was initially pulled away from design studying. In addition, over a period of 3 days, I visited three design companies: Indes, Ontwerpwerk, and Droog, and I saw their working process to make products and the real products they made. I felt product design is pretty attractive and charming when I saw that. After the tour I realized that design is something so valuable and creative. Before I visited Holland, I had thought making products was boring, and it was difficult for me. However, when I took a step backward by trying to change my major, I realized how much I love to design. Even though the process of making products is so complicated and complex, it refreshes me. Through attending this tremendous program, I have found my true calling and now I’m studying delightfully toward a future career design.

4 comments:

  1. An exciting exchange, right? I have wanted to go to Holland since 100 years ago. lol, I also want to know the details which make u touch inside and find out how much u like desinging. I think if u write that the article will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Holland~?? I've never been to any europe country. I envy you~lol. You got a nice and perfect topic sentence and good supporting ideas.
    Good job. Katie~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, i am admire your significant experience. i hope i will have chance to go there some other day. i have no idea about your major, so i think you should introduce more about what kind stuffs you make or desigh. maybe that will be easier for us to understand your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your significant experience visiting europe like Holland. Actually I have been saving some money as much as possible to take a trip to england. I wish to visit there after finishing cpeli.

    ReplyDelete