Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two Hard Decisions for Me- by Adele

Going to live in America was the hardest decision I have ever made. When I graduated from my university, I did not know what my next step should be for my future. Without thinking, I swiftly decided to go to America. Even though I did not know how to speak English that well, I told myself, “I want to try this challenge.” When I told my parents that I wanted to live in another country, they agreed to let me study in the United States. In addition, my parents wrote me a letter saying, “You are like a baby who has optimistically started to learn a new language.” When I got this letter from my parents, my tears never stopped. At the beginning of the first and second quarters, they enthusiastically questioned me about my school life. My parents had an American dream just like me, and the dream became wonderfully true for us all. Many of my Taiwanese friends and my relatives asked me, “Why are you going to America?” I explained to them,”Hopefully, I will improve my English writing and speaking skills in order to apply for a Master’s degree in America. If I complete my studies, I can get a job easier in Taiwan. Secondly, I want to understand the difference between Western and Eastern culture and thinking are.” However, currently, something has changed between my parents and me. They think I should go back to Taiwan because they said, “A woman needs to get married. If you continue to study in America, you will become older, and men usually are not interested in old women.” Although I need to take the bus two hours every day, do not have a car to go out, and miss my friends from the university of Taiwan, I still want to pursue my American dream. Even going to live in America was the hardest decision, but I will never regret coming to America. Consequently, I have decided not to go back to Taiwan right now. I have met many friends of different nationalities and have many cherished experiences of America. Listening to somebody is not always right, sometimes, I have to make decisions by myself.

11 comments:

  1. Adele~~Men really are not interested in the old woman/// Someday, you should go back to your country.kkk And very nice dialoge "marriage" something.That was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your article touched really me so deeply. I really got u. U use adv and transitions very well. I leart more from r article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adele, you are a strong girl. almost every thing which you wrote in your paragraph, i have same idea with that. Fighting, go for your dream. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice paragraph~~clear thinking and details.
    im very proud of your courage, study abord is not easy decision for everyone, but you did it!!
    and never worry about getting old because you are always attractive to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan~~~~ you are really mean....you know...girls don't like that..hahaha...j/k

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan: You are a very traditional man. Women don't need to worry so much about what men think. They should pursue their own dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy~~whatever I don't care about that. I know I very a conservative person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adele, after reading this story, I sincerely understand how difficult when you made the dicision and I admire your courage too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fluent and coherent article. I need to learn your organization skill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Adele~! I didn't know how much you have been spent to study english for a short time, just as I respect your decision because in spite of short-term time I think your writing and speaking English abilities are much better than before yours which weren't good at anything about description in details.

    ReplyDelete