Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Driving Coach Mr. Liu

My driving coach Mr. Liu, a responsible Taiwanese, has three memorable character traits. Firstly, he was recommended by my friend who praised him a lot, and he was a kind and patient coach. When I sat in the driver’s seat for the first time, I felt so excited. He explained the details over and over to make sure that I got it completely. I followed what he said: I put my seatbelt on; started the car; pressed the brake; loosened the parking brake; and shifted gears. But when I stepped on the gas, the car moved suddenly. I was scared and let off the gas at once. “Relax! Try to step on the gas lightly! Don't be scared! It happens the first time,” Mr. Liu said kindly. I improved a lot after that. Moreover, he was also a humorous person. For example, once when I was driving on the busy road, I felt really nervous to see so many cars close to me. I was really tense and clutched the steering wheel tightly. Mr. Liu asked me to change lane. I was going to turn on the signal lamp, but by mistake I turned on the window wiper. I was stupefied at once. He looked at me and said, “Don't you want to turn it off? Or you have to turn on the headlight, too.”(CA traffic law: when you turn on the window wiper, you must turn on the headlight) In addition, he had been a coach for more than 10 years and had a lot of experience. In order to turn smoothly, I drove on a twisting mountain road. When I was driving down the road and making a right turn. I suddenly found a trash in front of me! I had no idea what to do at that time, so I screamed. Mr. Liu calmly pressed the brake under the co-driver seat and controlled the steering wheel immediately. We avoided the trash easily! “Be calm when you have an emergency!” said Mr. Liu solemnly. I felt highly grateful to Mr. Liu who helped me become an eligible driver. He is a really good and famous coach now, and I will never forget him.

No comments:

Post a Comment