Monday, February 1, 2010

My Big Decision

I have always wanted to study abroad to improve my English skills since I was a middle school student. I chose a university without thinking; as a result, I was unhappy and i confused for my first two and a half years of college. I didn’t know what I wanted and what my future held. I couldn’t enjoy my university life because whenever I met my university acquaintances, it reminded me of my present situation. I pretended I was ok on the surface, but my heart cried. I Even hated to put “my” of my school in front of the university where I studied. I decided to study abroad, and my parent’s approval didn’t matter. It was important only that I achieve my goal. But I was worried about time as well as the exchange rate because it was a period of high exchange rate between the U.S. and Korea. For example, it had been 1:1 valuable, on the other hand, it was 1:0.5~0.8 valuable at the time. I was a junior, and after one year, I needed to get a job, but I was not sure yet about my future. Nevertheless, I knew one thing: I couldn’t postpone my dream anymore. If I didn’t go then, it would be more difficult to go later. I sat down next to mom and dad carefully and told them “I want to go to the U.S. to study English, and I found some exchange student information.” They listened calmly and carefully but didn’t approve immediately. Mom nodded her head up and down lightly, and dad pulled up his chair, sat down, and talked to me with worry, looking straight into my eyes, “I'm not sure whether you can do it strongly, or weather your will is firm or not.” So I continued “I need better English, I want to get a job using English before graduation.” Mom said “I understand, and let’s think more carefully.” They didn’t give me definite approval, but I could tell that they had almost consented to live out my dream. I am here now as I have always wanted to be, and I really appreciate this opportunity.

7 comments:

  1. oh~jiyoun,how about your parents opinion now, do they agree with you. in my opinion, you did a good decision. in your paragraph, i have a little confuse about"I Even hated to put “my” of my school in front of the university where I studied." could you explain it more clearly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tink, this means that she was so unhappy with her school she didn't even want to call it "my school." The opposite would be if you are really proud of your school and you like to tell everyone what school you go to. Then, you would say loudly, "This is MY school!!" And you would say it with great pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ ji-youn. I was impressive to see your decision. I didn't know what happen to you before coming U.S. I hope your mind relating to future will be more positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tink, Jim is right. It means I don't like to say "my school" to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Jiyoun,you are so independent.You know what you want and make right decision,give me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. let's study together. We have the same goal. i think we should help each other. LOL come on~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know it's really hard to make a decition like this, but you did it. now you are in the US and studying English, im sure your parants won't regret that, and you are doing good job now, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete