Thursday, January 28, 2010

What I learned from Getting Lost in America

A bitter experience may help you grow up, even a little thing like waiting bus. Two months ago, I went to check the TOEFL examination hall with my roommate; we have to take the bus because we don’t have a car. Regretfully, we took the right bus but the wrong way so we had to spend about 30 minutes to wait for the next bus. After 11 minutes, we arrived at the first stop and spent more than one hour to wait for the other bus. The bus is always late which made me unhinged. We crossed a mountain and few towns. At a little obscure stop, everyone got off. I just knew I needed to get off at the last stop, but I didn’t know if it is there. I only followed others and get off the bus and tried to find NO.43 stop board, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I asked an old woman who looked very nice: “Excuse me; do you know where the No.43 stop is?” The old woman smiled and said, “Let me see, I just know this is No.285 last stop and I need to wait here, uh…oh…” I couldn’t understand what she said because she is a Korean so it’s a little bit hard. I said, “all right, can you just tell me where the stop is?” She answered me with a regret tone, “sorry, I’m not sure, but it must be here.” After thanks to her, I continued to find the stop. I crossed the road try to find out the stop for many times and I felt like a mindlessness fool, whereas still nothing. I sat on the wayside, feeling very disappointed and helpless, and thought: fine, I will give up, I will never find the stupid stop, and I will go home. Abruptly, I remembered my mom told me, “Be brave, whatever how enormous trouble you meet.” I looked up, and suddenly saw a little yellow sign in the middle of the pillar, and I narrowed my eyes wanted to figure out what it is. I fiercely stoned up and it said NO.43 stop and a map on the pillar. Finally, I found it. A few minutes later, the bus came, and I told the driver which road I want to go to, but I didn’t know which stop I should get off. The driver said enthusiastically, “Don’t worry, I will tell you.” It made me feel so warm. I arrived at the examination hall and checked the room quickly. When we out of examination hall, there was a bus coming here, I rushed to the bus swiftly, but the driver said I shouldn’t take this bus. I explained many times, but he still said “NO”. I got confused and stayed here and waited for the next one. The sky was getting dark and I felt a little bit sad, I never had this experience at home. In a strange place, I didn’t know how to do and where to go. I felt very lonely. I realized that it’s not easy to live abroad alone and I should depend on myself after leaving my parents. From this experience, I am braver and more independent. Moreover, there are so many people willing to help me; it makes me feel so warmth.

1 comment:

  1. good beginning as hook, little kelly! i have same experience with you! trust yourself, you will be better in your life in america in future! but i want to know what the ending of that day, if you explain that more, maybe better than now.:)

    ReplyDelete